As the host of a weekly meeting of business professionals who are in transition, all of them will experience many of the same things during their time in transition. I would love to tell them the following things they are guaranteed to experience.
- You will experience weeks when everything is going your way, only to have it all fall apart the following week.
- You will experience weeks when nothing is going your way, only to have a ton of things go your way the following week.
- Your best friends will never call you back while strangers will become the best job-search friends you ever had.
- Folks who tell you they will call you back on Friday never will.
- You will interview with a ton of people and never hear again from any of them. Never. Again.
- While everyone’s journey is different, with optimism and persistence, you will find your next opportunity.
So why don’t I tell them any of this? Because they have to experience it themselves in order to motivate themselves to be optimistic and persistent. Optimism and persistence are the keys to success.
Ed’s new book, Raise Your Visibility & Value: Uncover the Lost Art of Connecting on the Job is now available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Please check it out and share the word!