As the host of a weekly meeting of business professionals who are in transition, all of them will experience many of the same things during their time in transition. I would love to tell them the following things they are guaranteed to experience.
- You will experience weeks when everything is going your way, only to have it all fall apart the following week.
- You will experience weeks when nothing is going your way, only to have a ton of things go your way the following week.
- Your best friends will never call you back while strangers will become the best job-search friends you ever had.
- Folks who tell you they will call you back on Friday never will.
- You will interview with a ton of people and never hear again from any of them. Never. Again.
- While everyone’s journey is different, with optimism and persistence, you will find your next opportunity.
So why don’t I tell them any of this? Because they have to experience it themselves in order to motivate themselves to be optimistic and persistent. Optimism and persistence are the keys to success.